Twirly Dresses Are So Much Fun!




Here recently I purchased the Stripwork Jumper  by Carla the Scientific Seamstress, and decided to make a twirly jumper dress for a darling little girl at church.  It was so much fun to take strips of pretty fabrics and put them together into a piece that is just perfect for spinning.  



After printing out the pattern pieces, I got out my handy dandy scissors and rotary cutter and went to town on the fabric fat quarters I picked up locally.  *Yes, my ironing board is covered in layers of toweling.  It is very absorbent and easily washable when I go overboard on starch.  *  


The skirt went together easily.  I don't overcast edges with a zig zag machine, nor do I have a serger.  I use a straight stitch machine and make French seams, then press them neatly so they lay flat.  The above picture shows a French seam.  



After piecing the skirt together, I put together the first ruffle, white, and hand gathered it to the skirt bottom.  After stitching the white ruffle down, I put on the straight joining piece, also in white, that attaches the second ruffle, and then put binding over the seam.  That leaves the finish nice and smooth.  The second ruffle went on smoothly with hand gathering, and the same finish at the seam.  This made a strong and secure seam for a little girl who knows how to play hard!



After finishing the skirt and ruffles, it was time to make the bodice.  Straps were easy to make, and the bodice had a ruffle at the top.  The bodice went together quickly, and rather than adding buttonholes or snaps, I attached them directly with a button on each side over top.  






This twirly jumper dress was a joy to make!  If you sew, you should try this one!  I definitely expect to make more of these, and as I do, put them into the Etsy shops.  This was a size 2, on a 18 mos/2T mannequin.  

Do your little girls like twirling around?  I'd love to hear your stories!!












Comments